I love love love this pie. It is a nice deviation from your standard peach pie! I like it MORE than peach pie. Delicious.
2 cans sliced apricots ( I use home canned apricots, store bought will do )
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp. orange zest
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1/3 cup reserved apricot syrup
1/8-1/4 cup sugar for dusting
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 cup water
(may need to add 1/2 the recipe if you like your crust thicker)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the apricots, 1/2 c sugar, flour, nutmeg, lemon juice, orange zest, almond extract, salt, and apricot syrup in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl place the flour, then add the salt, oil, and water. Mix until slightly wet. If it is too sticky, add more flour, if not sticky enough, water until you reach the proper consistency.
3. Lay down a silicone mat on the counter, then half the crust dough. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top and roll the dough with rolling pin until very thin, about 1/4 inch thick (I get it a little thinner, to where the dough is a bit see through). Place crust in pie dish, pour the apricot filling into the dish. dot with the 2 Tbsp. cut butter.
4. Repeat rolling the second dough, and flip it on top of the filling layer. Cut around the pie plate and pinch the edges together and closed with your fingers and cut slits in the center to let steam escape. Egg wash the top crust, then sprinkle sugar on top evenly to dust.
5. Bake at 350F for 55-60 min. until nicely browned. Time may vary depending your oven and dough, so watch it after 50 min. mark. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 15-20 min. before cutting. Serve with whipped cream!